Stage One – Applying!
We know the application form may look long and daunting, but don’t worry! Take your time and write it properly – remember you are still applying for a job.
- First you must rank your skills in order of experience starting with your strongest. Explain how you see yourself transferring your skill(s) into a camp environment. If you have experience teaching this skill then great! Tell us about it, i.e. how long have you done it for? What level of skill are you at? Have you taught individuals or groups? If your skill is a sport, what level have you played and taught at? What ages were the children/participants? The more information you can include, the better.
- Make sure you write a strong personal statement, this is your opportunity to tell Camp Directors and the Ameri Camp Canada team exactly why you should go to camp! Describe your personality, your strengths and any other attributes that would make you the ideal AmeriCamp Canada candidate.
- Once you are happy with your application, submit it and our crazy, but friendly staff at AmeriCamp Canada HQ will review it and then get in touch with you.
- To make things as easy and as cost effective for you as possible, we can interview you through one of 3 methods… you can a) come down to the AmeriCamp Canada HQ in Manchester and meet our great office staff, b) meet one of our amazing Campus Managers at one of the many universities across the UK (they have all been to camp and have plenty of stories to tell!), or c) if you are currently travelling/aren’t within a reasonable commuting distance we can arrange a Skype interview – however this is only offered as a last resort!
- Your interviewer will take you through your application, highlight your strengths and make sure your skills are relevant to camp. Your interviewer will then remain as your key contact throughout the application process and will help you with any questions you may have. After your interview your interviewer may give you a list of recommendations to work on and in the meantime they will write your interview report, which will accompany your application.
Stage Two – Video, References and Camps Fairs
- Once your interview report has been written, and we have received your references, application video and £99 stage two fee, then it is time for your application to be shared with our Canadian Camp Directors!
- Be prepared for Camp Directors to get in touch, make sure you have a Skype account set up as they may wish to interview you further. Remember you are applying for a job, so be friendly, professional and treat the Camp Director with respect.
- Each year we have Camp Fairs, where you can meet Camp Directors face-to-face and get yourself placed. If you want to try and be placed with a friend it is best to attend a camp fair and interview together.
- This is an essential part of your application; Camp Directors will not consider an application without one. Try and make your video creative, fun and (most importantly) ensure that it shows off the skills that you have outlined in your application form. We recommend that your video is between 1-2 minutes long, includes a brief introduction section then progresses onto your skills. You may also include a photo showreel. Title your video with your name and ‘AmeriCamp Canada 2018’. If you prefer not to post it live on YouTube, then you can send us a private link.
- You will need a total of 3 references to complete your application and we have a reference form available for you to use online. Your references must come from a professional source; teachers, coaches and employers are all great examples! They cannot come from family or friends and must contain active contact details to enable us to verify the reference.
Stage Three – Placement and Visa
If you’ve reached this point, congratulations – you have been placed! The countdown to your summer of a lifetime can officially begin, and in the meantime here’s what to do next…
- Pay the placement fee of £161 within 2 weeks of securing your place, failure to do so may result in you losing your place. If you are having problems give us a call, we are here to help!
- Make sure your passport is in date and has at least 6 months validity on it AFTER your return date to the UK; ensure your personal details are written EXACTLY as they are stated on your passport. Failure to do so WILL cause problems.
ACRO Background Check
- You must have an ACRO background check freshly complete in order to go to camp.
- Make sure you see your GP to obtain a medical check; this is required to ensure safety at camp. If you have any outstanding medical problems please contact us directly for a range of options.
Work Permit/Working Holiday Visa
- Please ensure you are aware of which visa method you are choosing. Should you be travelling to Canada on a Working Holiday Visa, you’ll need to ensure you have completed all of the required tasks. If you’re going to camp on a Work Permit, our team will work with you in order to get everything complete. You will be sent an information pack with everything you need to know.
Book your Flights
- We have a brilliant in house flight booking team that will give you a range of options for safely getting to camp. We can secure your seat for a £99 deposit and also offer a range of flexible date tickets in case your plans change.
Email Flights@AmeriCamp.co.uk or call 0161 312 3640
- Make sure you are available to attend an AmeriCamp Canada orientation – this is a program requirement. We will be running events regularly so ensure you can attend.
Get Certified With AmeriCamp Canada…
Our New Partnership With CanaPHEM
AmeriCamp Canada is proud to announce our new partnership with canaPHEM.
Boost your credentials and stand out from the crowd in the build-up to your Summer of a Lifetime with a range of certifications and qualifications!
Complete your training prior to arrival at Camp and dramatically improve your chances of being #plACed!
Qualifications can be used post-Camp for two or three years, with lifeguard and first aid certifications valid in UK, USA and Canada!
So, whether you’re packing for your trip already, or need some extra spice to jazz up your application, add another feather to your bow and soar to the skies this Summer!
Click HERE for a full range of courses and dates; this is an incredible opportunity to enhance your CV and improve future employability when you return from Camp, whilst improving your Camp experience!
Click HERE to book your place and select your desired courses; it’s that easy.
For more information on the courses click HERE!