Stage One – Applying!
We know the application form may look long and daunting, but don’t worry, this is why we’ve split it up into Stages! Take your time and write in detail – remember, you should still be treating this as a job application.
- First you need to submit your Personal Information, Personality and Interests, Job Preference and Availability Dates – this shouldn’t take longer than 10 minutes!
- Once you have submitted your Basic Information, you need to tell us about 3 skills that you can bring to Camp! These should be ranked in order of experience/confidence, starting with your strongest first. If you have experience teaching this skill then great, tell us about it! The more information you can include, the better.
- Next you’ll need to tell us about your: Education and Work Experience, Leadership, Adventure and Camp Experience, and Medical and Criminal Background – again, this shouldn’t take longer than 10 minutes!
- Make sure your application is as strong as it can be, this is your opportunity to tell Camp Directors and the AmeriCamp Canada team exactly why you should go to camp!
- Once you are happy with your application, submit it and our lovely staff at AmeriCamp Canada HQ will review it and then get in touch with you.
- To make things as easy and as cost effective for you as possible, we can interview you through one of 3 methods… you can a) come down to the AmeriCamp Canada HQ in Manchester and meet our great office staff, b) meet one of our amazing Campus Managers at one of the many universities across the UK (they have all been to camp and have plenty of stories to tell!), or c) if you aren’t within a reasonable commuting distance, we can arrange a Skype/Zoom interview!
- Your interviewer will take you through your application, highlight your strengths and make sure your skills are relevant to camp. Your interviewer will then remain as your key contact throughout the application process and will help you with any questions you may have. After your interview your interviewer may give you a list of recommendations to work on and in the meantime they will write your interview report, which will accompany your application.
Stage Two – Camp Fairs, Video and References
- Stage 2 is where your application really begins to take shape. Once you have completed all of Stage 2, we will begin to share your application with our Canadian Camp Directors!
- To complete Stage 2 we need you to have: signed our program agreement, submitted 2 references, uploaded your application video, and paid the £129 Stage 2 fee.
- Once you have completed Stage 2, be prepared for Camp Directors to get in touch with you. Make sure you have a Skype account set up as they may wish to interview you further. Remember you are applying for a job, so be friendly, professional and treat the Camp Director with respect.
- Each year we have our legendary Camp Fairs where you can meet Camp Directors face-to-face and get yourself placed on the spot! They are definitely the easiest and most fun way of being hired for the summer.
- If you get placed at one of our Camp Fairs, you won’t have to submit an application video!
- If you want to try to be placed with a friend it is best to attend a camp fair and interview together.
- Your video is an essential part of your application; Camp Directors will not consider an application without one. It is also your chance to make your application stand out from the crowd!
- Try and make your video creative, fun and (most importantly) ensure that it shows off the skills that you have outlined in your application form. Try going through each skill one-by-one as a format.
- We recommend that your video is around 2 minutes long. It should include a brief introduction of yourself before progressing onto your skills, talents and experience.
- You may also choose include supporting photos and videos to show of your skills!
- Make sure that you title your video with your name and ‘AmeriCamp Canada 2021’ when you post it to YouTube. If you prefer not to post it live on YouTube, then you can always send us a private link.
- You will need 2 references to complete your application.
- We have a reference templates for you to send to your referees to make the process as straightforward as possible.
- Your references must come from a professional source; teachers, coaches and employers are all great examples! They cannot come from family or friends and must contain active contact details to enable us to verify the reference.
- Your referee must have known you in a professional capacity for at least 6 months.
Stage Three – Placement and Visa
If you’ve reached this point, congratulations – you have been placed! The countdown to your summer of a lifetime can officially begin, and in the meantime here’s what to do next…
- Pay your placement fee within 2 weeks of securing your place. Failure to do so may result in you losing your place. If you are having problems give us a call, we are here to help!
- Make sure your passport is in date and has at least 6 months validity on it AFTER your return date to the UK; ensure your personal details are written EXACTLY as they are stated on your passport. Failure to do so WILL cause problems.
- You must have an ACRO background check (or country equivalent) freshly complete in order to go to camp.
- Make sure you see your GP to obtain a medical check; this is required to ensure safety at camp. If you have any outstanding medical problems please contact us directly for a range of options.
Work Permit/Working Holiday Visa:
- Please ensure you are aware of which visa method you are choosing. Should you be travelling to Canada on a Working Holiday Visa, you’ll need to ensure you have completed all of the required tasks. If you’re going to camp on a Work Permit, our team will work with you in order to get everything complete. You will be sent an information pack with everything you need to know.
Book your Flights:
- We have a brilliant in house flight booking team that will give you a range of options for safely getting to camp. We can secure your seat for a £99 deposit and also offer a range of flexible date tickets in case your plans change.
Email Flights@AmeriCamp.co.uk or call 0161 312 3640
- Make sure you are available to attend an AmeriCamp Canada orientation – this is a program requirement. We will be running events regularly so ensure you can attend.